Friday, January 20, 2012

Super Baby!

Meet Liam, or as I prefer to call him, Super Baby!  This little angel's Grandma asked me to photograph him when her daughter was only a few months pregnant, so I penciled him in for his due date, December 31st.  Well, as we know, life is great at throwing us unexpected curve balls, and my stomach dropped when I heard that Liam was being born via emergency c-section on September 30th at 26 weeks and 5 days.  Little did all of us on the outside know, but this little guy had big plans. Huge! HUGE I'm telling you!  The odds were against him at just 1 pound and 6 ounces, but Liam proved to be a fighter and sailed past every milestone the NICU had set for him, and made it home with mom and dad in just 75 days, right before Christmas and right before his due date, which is nearly unheard of for babies born this early!  As a medical professional myself, I am in awe of the amazing things this tiny little guy has done in his short little life, so I was thrilled to finally be able to photograph him at 3 months old.  He looks so tiny and frail, much like my son did when we first brought him home, but his mom put it best when she said he has a "full grown attitude".  He was a perfect gentleman for his shoot, but I was nothing short of shocked at how strong he was! He was grabbing onto his blankets, busting out of my swaddles (and as my husband can attest, I am the queen on baby swaddling), and literally trying to roll over and flailing his little arms and legs all over the place!  I was expecting to get some nice and sleepy, curled up shots, but I should have guessed that Liam would have his own plans, and instead we got lots of wide awake, big beautiful eyed shots.  Don't be fooled by the few shots with his eyes closed, that was just for a few seconds when I had the hairdryer on him (a handy tip for new parents,  It works like a charm!).  I think my favorite of all of the shots are the ones of him holding onto his daddy's finger.  We have a beautiful picture of our son holding on to my husband's finger in our living room, and I often stop and look at it when Cash is being....um, well a two year old to put it nicely, to remind me of my tiny precious baby, and it's hard to stay irritated.  I love being around new life.  No matter how many newborns I hold, I never get over how miraculous each one of them is.  If you don't believe in a higher power, take a look at Liam.  He is something special.  He is nothing short of a miracle.  Congratulations, Amy and Sean, on your sweet boy.  I can't imagine how proud of him you are!  (P.S. We snuck in a shot with the dog just for you Grandma Pat!)





























4 comments:

  1. wow- these photos are spectacular!Liam is amazing and your pictures capture the spirit and the strength of this little guy! I can't even pick a favorite because they are all so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful compliment Jane! He was a joy to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe! Your photos are simply gorgeous Kendra! You really captured so many special looks of new Liam, and his little red hat is adorable! Another excellent photo shoot!! You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I KNOW Amy and Sean are going to LOVE these photos. So special!

    ReplyDelete